User-Defined Fields can be used effectively in EnergyCAP to expand the software's ability to do energy benchmarking based on various place attributes, such as occupancy hours or production units. UDFs can also be used to link to external web-based documents.
NOTE: User Defined Fields can only be managed in ECE until 6.3 SP2. In software releases 6.3 SP3 and following, the UDF tab is no longer available in ECE as all UDF functionality has moved over to EnergyCAP Online.
To create a UDF, follow the procedure below:
- Launch the EnergyCAP Administrator program. This supplementary software management program is, by default, installed to C:\Program Files\EnergyCAP Enterprise\Administrator.exe.
- After logging into Administrator, click Setup > User Field Setup from the Administrator menu options.
The User field Setup window will open.
Complete setup as follows:
- Select the type of UDF you want to create (Account, Vendor, Meter, or Place).
- Select the Add/Edit/Delete option that is appropriate for the user field. For example, select “Add new User field” if adding a new UDF.
- Input the User Field Name in the text box provided.
- Select the Data Type from the drop-down list box (Any Numbers, Date, Text, Whole Numbers). The Text option is usually the most appropriate, and should be used for any HTML link information.
- Click OK to save the settings and close the User field Setup window. The UDF has been created.
- Exit the Administrator program.
Entering data into a UDF
Now that the UDF has been created, let's see how to use the newly-created UDF to link to any web-based external document, such as a utility contract:
- Open EnergyCAP and navigate to the desired account/vendor/meter/place. The UDF label and any specific value associated with that account/vendor/meter/place will appear in the General tab PowerView.
- To insert a specific text/link for the selected account/vendor/meter/place:
- Open the Properties window (File > Properties).
- Click on the User Fields tab, and input the desired Value in the cell provided using the appropriate language/tagging:
<a href="http://www.YourWebLinkAddress">Link Text</a>
- Click OK to close the Properties window. The UDF value should display under the User Defined Fields list in the General tab PowerView.
! Don't forget the appropriate HTML TAGS when inputting a web link! Then the UDF value will show in blue on the General Tab so you can click on it like a hyperlink. You may need to refresh your screen before the EnergyCAP PowerView will display newly-input data!
Printing/Reporting UDF information
Setup reports SU43-SU46 can be configured to display and print the contents of UDFs.