Prerequisites for Account Setup
- The Facility Manager Tree View Places and Account Manager Tree View Cost Centers should be established prior to creating accounts and meters.
- A recent copy of a bill should be available for each of the accounts to assist with bill template selection. If necessary, custom bill templates should be created to conform to bill details to be tracked in EnergyCAP.
- Before proceeding with the account/meter set-up, it is important to have a business rule in place dictating a naming and numbering scheme for the Account Codes, Vendor Codes, Meter Codes, and Display names for each. Account codes will be the account number assigned by the vendor (as shown on the bill (use leading zeros and remove blank spaces).
NOTE: If interfacing with an accounting system, the vendor codes will most likely be set up by the AP department.
Account Wizard Setup
The preferred method for creating an account is to use the Account Wizard. The Account Wizard presents a sequential series of windows with prompts for entering all required account information, and for associating the newly-created account with the relevant meter(s). The Account Wizard does not provide for setup of audit overrides or audit alerts. These may be done separately after the account has been created.
To create an account using the Account Wizard:
- Navigate to the Account Manager (Accounting/Accounts).
- Highlight the Cost Center for the new account and then click the New Account/Meter button from the Account Manager title bar.
The Account Wizard-Welcome window will open. Leave the Basic Mode checkbox checked (The advanced 'unbundled' account feature is not recommended; for recommended best practice for handling deregulated scenarios, see Deregulated (LDC/Supplier) and Summary Account Setup.
- Click Next. The Account Wizard-General window will open.
- Enter a Code and Display for the new account in the fields provided. If desired add a service address by clicking the Address button, filling in the address fields in the Address window, and clicking OK.
- Click Next. The Account Wizard-Vendor window will open.
- Click the drop-down arrow to open the selection box to select the desired vendor for the account. Or use the binoculars icon to open the Search window to select search parameters (useful for organizations with very extensive vendor lists).
NOTE: If the vendor has not yet been created, click the Plus button to open the Create Vendor window. Fill out all necessary information for each tab (General/Contact Info/Other/Contracts).
NOTE: If you would like to track energy contract information, select a contract from the list or (if the contract has not been entered into EnergyCAP) click the plus (+) icon to create and track a new contract associated with the account.
- When done, click OK to save the new vendor and close the Create Vendor window.
- When a vendor has been selected, click Next. The account will be saved and the Account Wizard-Continue window will open.
- Click Next to continue. The Account Wizard-Meters window will open.
Creating the Associated Meter
Accounts can have one or more meters, BUT each account MUST have at least one meter even if a physical meter doesn’t exist (e.g. sewer or refuse accounts).
To create the associated meter from the Account Wizard-Meters window:
- Click the Plus (+) button to launch the Meter Wizard.
- Click the Next button and locate and select/highlight the building where the new meter is to be created.
NOTE: To create a new place, click the Plus icon to open the Create Place window. Then enter the related building information in the appropriate fields and click OK to save the new place and close the Create Place window.
- Click Next and use the drop-down arrow to select a commodity type for the meter.
EnergyCAP will automatically generate a Meter Code and Display Name; these can be changed to accommodate the user’s business rule regarding a naming and numbering scheme. If the Bill indicates a meter serial number, enter it in the Serial Number: field.
- Click Next to exit the Meter Wizard and return to the Account Wizard-Meters window.
- If there is more than one meter associated with the account, repeat the meter creation process until all meters have been created and/or associated with the account.
- When done, click Next. The Account Wizard-Continue window will open.
Selecting the Bill Template, G/L and Rate Codes
- After all necessary meters have been created from the Account Wizard-Meters window, click Next from the Account Wizard-Continue window to open the Account Wizard-Templates window. All associated meters for the account will be displayed in the window. "Yellow" fields are clickable, and will turn green when account information has been added to them.
- Click Next to automatically open the template selection window. Or click in the yellow template field for a specific meter and click the adjacent ellipsis icon. The Bill Templates window for the meter commodity type will open.
NOTE: The Template field is required. G/L codes are only required when bills are exported from EnergyCAP to an A/P system. Rate Codes are required for reporting purposes. If G/L information is not required for organization accounting, uncheck the G/L Code check box.
- Click on a template folder from the left pane of the window to display the associated template version in the right pane of the window. Browse through the available templates until a 'match' is found with your utility bill for that meter/commodity.
NOTE: It is very important that the units of measure on the template match the units on the bill!
- When a matching template is highlighted, click the Select Template button. If all required information has been entered (Templates/G/L/Rate Codes), the Bill Templates window will close. The selected bill template is now associated with the account/meter for bill data entry.
- Click Next from the Account Wizard-Templates window to open the Account Wizard-Finish window.
- Click the Finish button to complete creation of the new account. The Account Wizard-Finish window will close and the account and associated meter will be visible in the related tree views.
This completes Account/Meter setup using the Account Wizard.
Alternative Account Setup
In some situations it may be necessary to set up an account without establishing the account-meter relationship up front. To create such an account, use the following procedure:
- Navigate to the Account Manager (Accounting/Accounts).
- Select (highlight) the cost center under which the account is to be created.
- From the Account menu, select New>Account. The Create Account window will open.
- Follow the window prompts to complete account setup (see Additional notes, below).
Additional Notes on Entering Advanced Account Data
The instructions below provide additional assistance for Basic and Advanced Mode account creation. Also included is information on formats for advanced scripting (Visual Basic programming skills required).
In the Code field, enter the unique, self-defined identifier.
In the Display field, enter the name to appear throughout the system.
Select the appropriate vendor from the drop-down list. If the vendor does not exist, click Creating a Vendor.. The Create Vendor dialog box appears. Follow the instructions for
Indicate the vendor's role by selecting the check box next to any applicable roles. The default selection is Service Provider.
If creating an unbundled account (NOT recommended), select the date usage from the drop-down list.
Parent: Follows the billing cycle of the parent account
Own: Has its own billing cycle
In the Deposit Information section:
Enter the deposit amount.
The value associated with the quantity of currency given as a deposit.
Enter the date paid by clicking in the Paid field then use the drop-down arrow to select the date from a calendar.
The date the original deposit was paid.
Enter the deposit return date by clicking in the Return field then use the drop-down arrow to select the date from a calendar.
The date the deposit is to be or was returned.
Enter any comments about the deposit in the Note field.
Any related comments specific to this account. You are limited to 255 characters.
In the Service section:
Enter the beginning service date (the date that service started or is scheduled to begin) by clicking in the Begin field then using the drop-down arrow to select the date from a calendar.
Enter the ending service date (the date that service ended or is scheduled to terminate) by clicking in the End field then using the drop-down arrow to select the date from a calendar.
If the account is inactive, clear the Active check box.
Enter the service address by clicking Address. The Address dialog box appears. Follow the instructions for Entering Addresses.
Enter any comments or other information about the account by typing in the space provided.
Print the memo text by clicking. The text is printed using your default printer.
Assign meters by clicking. The Assign Meters window appears. Follow the instructions for Assigning Meters.
Assign meters with a different effective date by repeating step 1.
Remove meters assigned in error by selecting the appropriate meter and clicking. The Confirm dialog box appears.
Select the Delete this meter relationship option to remove all references
Click OK. The Confirm dialog box closes.
Select the billing relationship, either Receives bills or Creates bills.
If the account create bills, select the customer for whom this account creates bills from the drop-down list.
If the customer does not exist, click Creating a Customer.. The Create Customer dialog box appears. Follow the instructions for
Select a billing cycle from the drop-down list.
NOTE: If the account is being used to create bills using a Virtual Bill Script, ensure that the Account Properties>Bills tab indicates that the account Creates bills.
In the Audit lists field, select the appropriate audit. The Description field displays the audit description. The Form properties field displays the default settings.
Modify the default setting by selecting the appropriate form properties then clicking. The Create Override Value window appears. Follow the instructions for Overriding Audit Variances.
Set an alert by clicking.
- Click on the Severity Field to expose the drop-down menu and select the severity that is appropriate for this alert (see below).
- Enter a Begin Date (the date after which you want the alert to appear).
- Enter an End Date (the date after which you do not want the alert to appear), or leave it blank.
- Enter the Message that you want to display during the bill entry process.
Creating Account Alerts (Bill Entry Messages) for a large number of accounts can be done by appending records to the FormMessage Table in EnergyCAP Enterprise.
Create a table in either MS or MSSQL containing the accountID, formID, message, beginDate, endDate, severity, and alertType fields, for the accounts that you desire to create an Account Alert for.
NOTE: When using MS Access, link the Account Table, to the Form Table, to the FormMessage Table.
Table should be:
The accountID field contains the AccountID for the account that will have the Account Alert assigned.
The formID field contains the formID value that is associated with the AccountID in the Form Table.
The message field will need to contain the message you want to display during the bill entry process.
The beginDate field contains the date after which you want the message to appear.
The endDate field contains either 1/1/3000, or the data after which you want the message to stop appearing.
The severity field contains an indicator of how important this message is.
0 = Pass. Message is informational only.
1 = Low. Message is informational only.
2 = Moderate. Message may require some sort of action by the data entry staff.
3 = Severe. Message is a warning and may require some sort of action by the data entry staff.
4 = Fail. Message indicates a problem with the Account and does not allow a bill to be saved. Can be used to prevent bill entry for Accounts that have been closed or are no longer the responsibility of the organization.
NOTE: The alertType field has a default setting of ‘0’.
Use an append query to add these records to the FormMessage Table.
Creating Bill Entry Alerts Messages
Creating Bill Entry Alerts Messages for a large number of accounts can be done by appending records to the FormMessage table in EnergyCAP Enterprise.
Create a table in Access with the accountID, formID, message, beginDate, EndDate, severity, alertType fields for those accounts that you wish to add a Bill Entry Alert Message
- The message field will need to contain the message you want to display on the user’s screen
- The beginDate field will contain the date you want the messages to appear
- The endDate field will contain the date 1/1/3000, or the date you want the messages to stop appearing
- The severity field can be set from 1 to 5.
Use an append query to add these records to the FormMessage table.