G/L Codes are accounting codes used to specify how charges are posted to an organization's General Ledger. G/L Codes and Subcodes can be created in EnergyCAP to coordinate data associated with the Codes with your organization's accounting system. A G/L Code can be assigned to an account, a meter, or a bill line item. G/L Codes are only necessary if the organization is exporting billing data from EnergyCAP to an accounting system.
Most organizations define G/L Codes in one of two ways:
- A separate G/L Code is defined for each account/meter OR
- The same G/L Code is used for a group of accounts (Example: All accounts for a particular commodity).
When creating G/L Codes:
If text is entered in the Code field, the G/L Code is set to that text.
If text is entered in any of the Subcode fields WITHOUT entering any text into the Code field, the G/L Code is automatically set as a concatenation all Subcode fields without any separating characters between them.
If the Code field is left blank, and values for SubCode1, SubCode2 and SubCode3 are G2, S14, and E12 respectively, the G/L Code will be displayed as G2S14E12.
To create G/L codes:
- Select Accounting | Accounts. The Account Manager will be displayed.
- From the Account menu, select Editors | G/L Codes. The G/L Code Editor window will open.
NOTE: In the G/L Code Editor list box, G/L Codes are identified/displayed by Code and/or Display names. These lists can be sorted by clicking the Code or Display column heading. Sort the lists in reverse order by clicking the column heading again.
- To add a new G/L Code from the G/L Code Editor window, click the "+" icon ( Create G/L Code window will open. ) . The
- If desired, enter the G/L Code in the Code field.
- In the Display field, enter the Display name for the Code.
- If applicable, enter the text for any appropriate G/L Subcodes in the Subcode fields.
- When done, click OK to save your changes and exit the Create G/L Code window. Or click Cancel to close the window without saving your changes.
- Exit the G/L Code Editor by clicking Close.